Wednesday 5 February 2014

Introduction

For the second part of the Final Major Project unit, we have to produce an animation no longer than three minutes long. We do not have a brief for this animation so we are completely free to do what we want although, we should use this project to showcase our skills in our preferred areas of animation.
Because of this, I have decided to produce a short 3D animation with a high focus on the modelling and the environment as I feel that these are my strengths and I would like to progress my career towards 3D modelling.

As I have previously attempted to achieve a realistic aesthetic, therefore I want to explore a more surreal style so I am able to model objects which aren't so realistic. I am more drawn towards styles that are quirky, especially within animation such as Tim Burton. I recently watched The Lorax and I found it visually enjoyable to watch, I particularly enjoyed the idea of the fantasy world which looked soft and happy. Because of recent projects, I have developed an understanding of hyperrealism and how the audience enjoy escaping into a different world.



I have previously found that I am more motivated during a project when it is focussed on something that I am passionate about or have an interest in and people that know me know that I have a lot for cats. I find their attitude and demeanour endearing. Another favourite animated film of mine is Toy Story for many reasons but in particular the concept that your toys come alive, I decided to take this idea and add a cat twist. I imagined what a cat would do perhaps at night time when everyone goes to bed as cats always decide that it is play time and they are always tired in the day.. Maybe they have a secret kingdom they go to, which then made me think of the Studio Ghibli film The Cat Returns.



I have decided to produce an animation in 3D from a cats point of view showing what a cat does at night, he travels to kitty kingdom of course!

Another reason for this is that I have a cat myself, Bartholomew, who will be a great reference to use during production. I have decided to base the main character on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment